Bite by bite he picked up the apple, took a nibble then set it down on the counter. Then he picked it up again, chose the next bite and took that one too. I started to cry.
I told him I was really proud of him. Lucy, not really understanding the great accomplishment, but loathe to miss an opportunity to be a part of a good time, ran up and said "Good job. Jake loves apples!"
Jake has never been able to do this before. Well, if we did let him have his own apple he would eat indiscriminately, core, stem, seeds, whichever. This time I watched him choose the next bite.
Sorry to be obsessing over this seemingly small task but add it to this little list:
- new skill: Jake can pull the covers over himself as he lies in bed.
- After grabbing the hair of a little girl on the play structure on Thursday (as she raced by him). I said "Jake! LET GO!" and he unclenched his fist, her shiny hair then slid past his palm and it looked more like the hello he was trying for and less like an attack.
- new skill: After being unbuckled, Jake walks off the bus without assistance and grabs my hand at the door.
- Jake tried to tickle his sister tonight after she tickled him. He touched her stomach, instead of a random grab for whatever part he could find.
- Jake sat and listened to the entire story "The Giving Tree" when I just read it to him tonight.